K-12 Recipe: Tasty Tots
A healthy, kid-friendly alternative to traditional “fried” potatoes, Tasty Tots are a combination of sweet potatoes, garbanzo beans and cinnamon that come together to form a unique, delicious dish. A great addition to any menu!
24 lbs fresh, peeled coarsely shredded sweet potatoes item #16015
13 lbs 12 oz canned low-sodium garbanzo beans with liquid
2 cups vegetable oil
2 tablespoons, 2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons, 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
3 1/2 cups finely diced, fresh green onion
1 tablespoon, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons, 2 teaspoons onion powder
2 tablespoons, 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup enriched all-purpose flour
- Spread shredded sweet potatoes evenly on a sheet pan (18″x26″x1″) lightly coasted with pan release spray – use 4 pans.
- Bake sweet potatoes until slightly tender, do not over cook. Convection oven: 350˚F for 15 minutes.
- Puree garbanzo beans, including the liquid, in a food processor to a smooth consistency.
- Combine sweet potatoes, pureed garbanzo beans, oil, salt, garlic, onions, pepper, onion powder, cinnamon and flour. Mix well.
- Refrigerate at 40˚F for 40-50 minutes to make tots easier to form.
- Using a No. 40 scoop, place mixture 1-inch apart on sheet pan (18″x26″x1″) lined with parchment paper and lightly coated with pan release spray. Use 8 pans, Make 600 tots.
Serving: 6 tots provides, 3/8 cup red/orange vegetable and 3/8 other vegetable. The legumes in this recipes contribute to the other vegetable subgroup and not the meat/meat alternative component.See More Recipes