K-12 Recipe: Stir-Fried Green Rice, Eggs and Turkey Ham
Inspired by a popular children’s book with similar title, this hot main dish creatively combines brown rice, spinach, eggs and ham to create a great wholesome meal that satisfies the pickiest of eaters.
- 3gal 1qu of water
- 11lbs 4oz brown, long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon, 2 teaspoons of salt
- 48 liquid, or fresh large beaten eggs
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 3lbs extra-lean turkey ham, diced 1/4″
- 1lbs 4oz fresh, diced green onion
- 6lbs fresh, chopped spinach
- 1/3 cup sesame oil
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- Boil water.
- Place 2lbs 13oz brown rice in each steam table pan (12″x20″x2 1/2″) about 4 pans.
- Pour boiling water over brown rice, stir, cover pans tightly.
- Add salt to brown rice, mix well, set aside.
- Whisk eggs and 1 cup water.
- Lightly coat pan with pan release spray. Cook half of egg mixture. Chop and set aside for later. Reserve other half of egg mixture.
- Sauté ham in vegetable oil over high heat for 2 minutes or until ham beings to brown.
- Reduce heat to medium. Mix in brown rice.
- Add remaining egg mixture. Stir frequently for about 5 minutes, or until cooked.
- Mix in onions, spinach, chopped egg, sesame oil and soy sauce.
- Portion into 1 cup, and serve!
Serving: 1 cup provides 1oz equivalent meat/meat alternate and 1 1/2oz equivalent grains.See More Recipes