K-12 Recipe: Squish Squash Lasagna
This savory recipe is made with slightly sweet tomato sauce deliciously tucked between layers of whole-wheat lasagna noodles, butternut squash, and spinach, all nestled under part-skim mozzarella cheese.
- 3lbs diced onion
- 6oz minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon, 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 12lbs 8oz canned, low-sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 128 whole-wheat lasagna sheets 3 1/2″ x 7″
- 18lbs 8oz peeled, sliced butternut squash
- 2lbs sliced spinach
- 3lbs 2oz low-fat mozzarella, part-skim cheese
- To make tomato sauce, sauté onions and garlic in oil for 2-3 minutes. Add tomatoes, oregano, thyme, and basil. Simmer over low heat, uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place pasta sheets in hot water for 7-10 minutes. Remove sheets as dish is assembled.
- Lightly coat steam table pan (12″x20″x2 1/2″) with pan release spray (about 4 pans).
- First Layer: 16 lasagna sheets, slightly overlapping. 2 1/2 cups tomato sauce. About 2 1/2 cups spinach. 2lbs 5oz squash slightly overlapping.
- Second Layer: Repeat first layer.
- Third Layer: 2 1/2 cups tomato sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake until squash is fork tender. Convection oven: 350˚F for 40-55 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle 3 1/8 cups cheese evenly over each pan of lasagna.
- Bake uncovered until cheese starts to brown slightly. Convection oven: 350˚F for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to set for 15 minutes before serving. Cut each pan 5×5 (25 pieces per pan).
Serving: 1 piece proves 1/2oz equivalent meat alternate. 5/8 cup red/orange vegetable. 1/8 cup other vegetable, and 3/4oz equivalent grains.See More Recipes