K-12 Recipe: Oodles of Noodles
This colorful, whole-wheat pasta dish is accented with grape tomatoes and Swiss chard, and delicately flavored with basil and garlic. Students will love this fresh oodly-noodly delight.
8 gallons of water
11 lbs whole-wheat penne pasta item #8968
1 1/3 cups extra virgin olive oil
12 lbs fresh grape tomatoes, halved item #26346
1/2 cup dried basil
1/4 cup sea salt
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
1 cup mined fresh garlic
3 cups whole-wheat flour item #78756
2 gal 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
5 lbs fresh, chopped Swiss chard, stems removed
- Heat water to a rolling boil.
- Slowly add pasta. Stir constantly until water boils again. Cook about 8 minutes or until al dente. Stir occasionally. Do not over cook, drain well.
- Heat oil. In a roasting pan on top of a stove, sauté half of tomatoes over medium heat for 2 minutes until skins soften. Do not over cook. Tomatoes should maintain their shape. Reserve remaining tomatoes for step 6.
- Add basil, salt, pepper and garlic.
- Sprinkle flour over tomatoes. Sauté over medium heat for an additional 1-2 minutes. When mixture begins to thicken add broth. Bring to boil uncovered. Reduce heat to low.
- Add Swiss chard, and the remaining tomatoes. Simmer over low heat, uncovered for 2 minutes or until Swiss chard is wilted.
- Pour over pasta and serve.
- Portion with 8 fl oz ladle (1 cup).
Serving: 1 cup provides 1/8 cup red/orange vegetable, 1/8 cup other vegetable and 2oz equivalent grains.See More Recipes