Mac & Cheez-It®
Creamy mac and cheese with a crispy crunch from Cheez-It® crackers, this dish is a cheese-lovers dream and is bound to be a hit among hungry students.
50 cups cooked whole grain pasta (elbows preferred)
6.25 lbs reduced fat, shredded, American cheese
75 oz Whole Grain Cheez-It®
10 cups skim milk (or dry powder milk reconstituted)
6 cups water
16 tablespoons low fat butter substitute
8 tablespoons black pepper
- Cook pasta according to directions. Rinse, drain and set aside.
- Grind Cheez-It® crackers in a food processor/blender (or mash) until corse. Reserve 8 cups for topping.
- Mix remaining ground Cheez-It® crackers and the rest of the ingredients in a tilt kettle, or large pot. Stir and bring to temperature. Cook until thickened (5-10 minutes).
- Add cooked pasta that was set aside to sauce mixture. Stir until well mixed.
- Divide mixture evenly into 4 shallow full-pans. Wrap and place in holding oven.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle 2 cups each of crushed Cheez-It® crackers over the top of each pan.
- Use 6 oz ladle/cup to serve.