Brazilian Pastel Pastry with Smoked Sausage and Chimichurri
Try this recipe for a shareable Brazilian, flaky twist to smoked sausage.
Customers today crave flavorful treats and look for unique flavor combinations. This recipe for Brazilian pastel with sausage makes it easy to exceed expectations by combining the flavors of smoked sausage, onion, garlic, peppers, and a delicious blend of spices. Pastel de carne can be found on Brazilian menus as a savory dish beside the sweet pastries that are most similar to an empanada. The delicious meat and vegetable filling is wrapped inside of a buttery, flakey crust, is and sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Perfect for parties, holidays and other special occasions. Or, serve as a shareable appetizer with a side of chimichurri on your menu.
Yield: 4 servings
- 13 oz. plain flour, sifted
- pinch of salt
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. cachaça or vodka
- 5 fl. oz. milk
- 2 fl. oz. olive oil
- 1 lb. Smoked Sausage, casing removed and crumbled
- 4 oz. red onion, ¼” dice
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, chopped
- 1 red pepper, ¼” dice
- 1 poblano pepper, ¼” dice
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds, toasted & crushed
- 1⁄4 tsp. chipotle chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 3 oz. butter
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced ¹⁄8″ thick
- 3 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 2 oz. chopped green olives
- 1 bunch parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. oregano, chopped
- 2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 fl. oz. extra virgin olive oil
- For Dough, pour flour and salt in bowl. Make well in center and pour in oil, cachaça and milk. Mix ingredients well.
- On floured surface, knead dough vigorously for 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Transfer to bowl, cover with towel, and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Using pasta machine or rolling pin, flatten dough to 0.3 cm thick. Cover with plastic wrap.
- For Filling, cook sausage in olive oil for 3 minutes. Add onions, garlic, peppers and cook until tender. Add cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika and butter. Cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add remainder of ingredients. Let cool.
- Spoon Filling on dough sheet and place another dough sheet on top. Cut into rectangles.
- For chimichurri, combine parsley, cilantro, vinegar, garlic, oregano, and crushed red pepper in food processor. Pulse until almost smooth and season with salt and pepper. Transfer sauce to bowl and pour olive oil over mixture. Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Fry pastels in 350°F oil until golden brown and crispy. Garnish pastels with paprika, scallions and herbs.