K-12 Recipe: Beef Gyro Sandwich
Meet the need for unique menu applications. These globally-inspired gyro sandwiches can be personalized with fresh cut vegetables from the salad bar, and garnishes such as Tzatziki sauce.
- 1 whole grain round 6″
- 2 tbsp garlic and herb sauce
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 3 oz seasoned beef Philly steak
- 1qt plain yogurt
- 1 cup peeled cucumber, finely diced
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- vegetables for topping: sliced tomato, chopped romaine lettuce and sliced onion
- Thaw flatbreads at room temperature.
- Place flatbreads on a lined sheet pan and cover with foil, warm at 350˚F for 4-5 minutes.
- Leave pan covered and place in a warming cabinet to hold at 140˚F until ready to make gyros.
- To prepare gyro beef place 5lbs of seasoned beef Philly steak in a 4″ deep full size counter pan and add 2 tbsp garlic and herb and 2 tbsp of dried oregano. Toss together to combine.
- Cover the pan of beef with foil and heat at 350˚F until it reaches 145˚F, hold at 140˚F cover in the warmer.
- To prepare Tzatziki sauce whisk together yogurt, cucumber, garlic powder and feta cheese.
- Portion a scoop of sauce into 1 oz souffle cups and hold in cooler at 40˚F until ready to build sandwiches.
- To build sandwich place a warm flatbread on a square of sandwich paper and top with 3oz of warm beef steak.
- Fold sandwich into a cone shape. Place in a tall tumbler to hold its shape.
- Students can top their sandwiches with their choice of cut vegetables or veggies can be served on the side and garnish gyro with Tzatsiki sauce.
1 serving provides: 2 oz eq whole grain and 3 oz M/MA servingSee More Recipes