BBQ Belly Cornbread Fritters
House-made pickled red onions, layered on top of cornbread fritters, and topped off with deep fried pork belly.
PICKLED RED ONIONS
- 1 cup pomegranate infused red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 8 oz thinly sliced red onions
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cups self-rising yellow cornmeal mix
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 8.5 oz can creamed corn
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 lb skinless pork belly
- 3 tbsp bbq seasoning blend
- To make pickled onions, combine vinegar, agave nectar, salt and garlic in medium, non-reactive saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat; stir in onion. Bring back to a boil; remove pan from heat. Cover and refrigerate 24 hours.
- Cut pork belly into thin strips (about 1/4-inch thick). Cut each strip into 3 pieces; coat all sides with BBQ seasoning.
- To make cornbread fritters, combine dry ingredients in medium bowl; make well in center. Add remaining ingredients into well of dry ingredients; stir to combine.
- Heat deep fryer oil to 325F. Deep fry pork belly strips 2 to 3 minutes until done. Drop fritter batter by tablespoons into oil; fry 2.5 to 3 minutes, turning over after 1 minute to brown evenly. Drain on paper towels.
- To serve, skewer belly strip on top of fritter. Garnish with pickled onions and bbq sauce.